Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Souvenir

Most people looking at this picture would see a small plastic cup and spoon.  And that's what it is.  A racquetball probably would not fit in the cup.  It's small.  And it is plastic.  And there's a tiny spoon with it.

When we were in Italy I didn't buy any souvenirs.  An ornamented ceramic mask would not mean anything to me.  The pictures we took are much better (to me) than any postcard or painting or statuette.  What I did do was snatch my family's gelato cups out of their hands before they could throw them in the trash.

THAT.  That right there is a souvenir.  To me.  It takes me back.  I see delicious ice cream, savored during conversations with people I love in places I never thought I would be.  I see stacks of the different colored bowls turned upside-down on counter tops in gelato shops.  I remember dreaming of one filled with a smooth delicious treat as we wandered, stomachs growling but eyes feasting, through Venice in search of "Quanto Basta" pizzeria. I can almost feel the wet-wipe in my hand after cleaning off Spencer's hands and face in Murano and Budoia (how romantic!).

It's just a small plastic cup and spoon, but it happens to be my favorite little cup and spoon in the world.

I'll post a bit about our trip soon enough.

10 comments:

Heidi said...

I love you.

Julie P said...

I love that description, and the reminder that just little things can carry big memories and JOY. Fun.

Kelley @ Never a Dull Day in Poland said...

It is good to know I am not the only one that does things like this!!

Erin said...

So fun. I am so jealous. I have always wanted to go to Italy. I love your descriptions and look forward to more pictures.

Anonymous said...

There is no place in the world like Italy. We went there this last fall and gelato is one of my favorite memories too! There was this great little place just off of the Pantheon (Amazing!) and we got ourselves doubles on a waffle cone. Mine was Orancello. He got chocolate. Mine was better!
Italy is ridiculously romantic. We had three stops there and each one was better than the last. Sorrento was everything green and lush and lovely. Rome is a marvel all on its own. I've never been to Venice (dying to go!) but my sister spent 2 weeks just bumming around there and can't get enough.

I'm so happy for you!!

Kazzy said...

I hope you are doing swell! Italy is my absolute favorite place on the planet. The fashion. The people. The food. The colors. Ah, I want to again soooo much!

Carolyn V said...

I love that. Those are the best souvenirs (the ones with the memories)!

lesa said...

That is something I would do too!

jennifer anderson said...

how economical. and green!

โปรโมชั่น PG SLOT ที่น่าสนใจ said...

โปรโมชั่น PG SLOT ที่น่าสนใจ ห้ามพลาดที่เราเตรียมไว้เพื่อคุณ พีจีสล็อต ออนไลน์ที่ทันสมัย น่าเล่น มาพร้อมรางวัลก้อนโตภายในเกม เล่นได้บนมือถือ